The Talon

Eagles Fight for Playoff Berth

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eagles Fight for Playoff Berth

Senior Linebacker Damarius Moore and junior linebacker Kaleb Knox celebrate after getting a fumble recovery in the 2nd half of the 34-20 win against Berkner. Photo by Chad Byrd.

Caeden Sargent

After beating Berkner 34-20, the football team is in a playoff scramble for the fourth and final spot in the district as they head into tonight’s game against Duncanville, the number two team in the state.

Richardson, Pearce and Lake Highlands are in a three-way tie for 3rd place, all with records of 3-2 making the last two games of the season critical to the Eagle’s playoff hopes.

Head coach Greg Pels has continually reinforced the message of a one game at a time philosophy.

“Where we’re at right now is because our kids have adopted the belief that you take care of what you can control, and you worry about what’s right in front of your face,” he said.

If the Eagles fall to Duncanville, the Lake Highlands game is a must-win to stay in contention. It has been 14 years since the Eagles’ last win against LHHS.

“Duncanville is a great team, and Coach Samples [Duncanville head coach] is one of the best coaches in the state of Texas, and they’re very talented,” Pels said. In order for us to play and compete with them we’ve got to play at a high level and play together. I mean high school football is crazy, so any thing can happen any game, any week.”