The Talon

Football notches first win of season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Football notches first win of season

Stone Carter and Marcus Johnson celebrate after one of four touchdowns the pair combined for in the Eagles 28-14 win over Samuell HS in Pleasant Grove Saturday afternoon. Photo by Audrey Anders

Caeden Sargent

Varsity football notched their first win over Samuell HS 28-14 in Pleasant Grove Saturday afternoon. The game was postponed due to lightening Friday night.

The Eagles started off red hot as the defense stopped Samuell’s offense on their opening drive while junior running back Marcus Johnson scored a touchdown on the Eagles’ first possession.

With senior wide receiver Stone Carter catching two touchdown passes from senior quarterback Logan Sawyer, and junior running back Marcus Johnson rushing for two touchdowns, the defense was able to impose their will on Samuell with senior Adeneyi Harding leading the way with 13 tackles. Junior Darrius Goodson got the team’s lone sack of the game.

“The key to the team winning was staying focused, not turning the ball over and to not let up,” Carter said.

The win ended a 5-game losing streak coming on the heels of their last win against W.T. White last season.

“It’s fantastic everyone has been working hard since last November, and it just validates everything,” Head Coach Greg Pels said. “I’m really proud of our o-line and backs at the end grinding the clock out, and the defense stopping them on 4th down,” Pels said.