The Talon

Track Sends 6 Athletes to Area Meet

Taking 1st place in both the long jump and triple jump, senior Dowdy Elazarig will move on to the Regional Track Meet in Waco. Talon Photo by Ken Osadon

Alex Nowak

Track will send six athletes to compete in the 6A Region II Track Meet on the Baylor campus April 27. Senior Dowdy Elazarig was a top performer taking first place in the long jump and triple jump yesterday at Jesuit Prep.

Elazarig catapulted himself to the area meet with a jump of 22-02 in the long jump at District.

“It feels good to to move on to Regionals in both the long and triple jump,” Elazarig said. “I’m also really excited for my teammates who qualified as well.”

Elazarig said that past experiences helped him deal with the pressures of competing at a high level.

“I’ve moved on to Area since my sophomore year, and it has helped because I have learned to relax in intense competitions,” he said.

Even with multiple athletes making Regionals, Head Coach Allyson Bonner said their work isn’t done yet.

“My expectations for Regionals is for the athletes advancing to run with heart and achieve their best mark or time this season,” Bonner said. “It has been amazing to see these athletes continue to achieve success each meet. I am hoping to have several move on to the State meet this year.”

She said that she’s looking forward to next year because of the potential for next season.

“We are a very young team, and I am happy to see all my athletes returning next year. We have grown in numbers and talent this year,” Bonner said.