Band Sends Record 12 Musicians to Prestigious Youth Orchestra

Band sends record 12 musicians to prestigious Lone Star Youth Winds Orchestra. Lone Star is a group of 80 of the best band students in the north Texas community. Photo by Daphne Lynd

After hours of practicing and student auditions, the band had a record 12 students accepted into the prestigious Lone Star Youth Winds (Lone Star).

Lone Star Youth Winds is a group of 80 of the best band students in the North Texas community who get the opportunity to rehearse with professional directors and perform two full-length concerts alongside professional musicians at the Meyerson Symphony Center and Moody Performance Hall.

“In the last few years there’s been a culture of wanting to do more than just high school band and play more literature pieces – going above and beyond in their musical careers,” Head Band Director Jesus Marquez said.

Ben Digennaro auditioned and was selected to play clarinet for Lone Star as an eighth grader, and was selected once again this year as a freshman.

“I didn’t really expect to fall behind, so it wasn’t a big shock to me that I made it again this year,” he said.

While Lone Star requires a lot of time outside of school, band members say they are able to juggle those responsibilities with band commitments here at school.

“There are conflicts because Lone Star rehearsals aren’t supposed to be missed, but occasionally something with band happens at the same time,” freshman Micah Pressler said.

2018 Lone Star Youth Winds – Richardson High School

Kendall Estridge – Flute

Ben DiGennaro – Clarinet

Lily Schaefer – Clarinet

Anna Fitzgerald – Alto Saxophone

Shea Nolen – Tenor Saxophone

Alexander Leo – Trumpet

Jacob Watson – Trumpet

Saul Morales – Horn

Micah Pressler – Trombone

Marcus Sykora – Bass Trombone

Adam Pobanz – Euphonium

Nicholas Lemon – Percussion