Former RHS editor assaulted while covering Austin protest

Former RHS editor, Chase Karacostas was assaulted while reporting during a campus protest at the University of Texas. Courtesy photo

By Daphne Lynd

Former RHS yearbook editor Chase Karacostas was assaulted while reporting on a student protest for the Daily Texan, the student newspaper at the University of Texas. Karacostas was interviewing a student at the protest for Texas Senate Bill SB4 – a sanctuary city law. As Karacostas reported, Eric Nava-Perez slammed Karacostas’ phone into his face striking his eyebrow.

“I touched my hand to my face and I saw all the blood and was like ‘crap,'” Karacostas said. “The dude [Nava-Perez] immediately left after knocking my phone out of my hand and into my face. I only saw him for a split second.”

London Gibson, a fellow reporter on the Daily Texan, called Karacostas’ news editor who took him to the E.R. where he received six stitches. The assault left Karacostas stunned, but his focus remained on the assignment.

“When bad things happen like the stabbing back in May, I am not really worried but rather in reporter mode,” Karacostas said.

Nava-Perez was arrested after Karacostas approached a police officer who was on the scene. He was retained for twelve hours and is being charged with assault and bodily injury. He has been banned from campus.

“It’s refreshing to know he’s not on campus, but it’s not something I was pushing,” Karacostas said. “I mean yes he’s not allowed back on campus, but I don’t live on campus, or spend all of my time on campus.”

Karacostas hasn’t let this deter him from working in the field of journalism.

“I‘ve already written eight stories since this,” Karacostas said. “It’s very much a fluke incident.”