The Talon

Filed under Lead, News, Recent Stories

Dining in Style

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dining in Style

Culinary Magnet senior Hanna Thames records an order for a meal during Eagle Cafe. Photo by Daphne Lynd

By Emma Kilgore

The Culinary Arts students are hosting Eagle Cafe, a restaurant inside the school open from 11:15am to 1:00pm every Friday through May 19th.

The restaurant serves district employees and the community, and it is not open to students. The Eagle Cafe is open for dine-in or take-out in the culinary room.

Eagle Cafe is run solely by 12 junior and senior culinary students who create the menu and prepare, cook, and serve the dishes. The restaurant offers soups, salads and sandwiches such as Cobb salads, chicken salad sandwiches and tortilla soup.

“Eagle Cafe is part of the Culinary Arts curriculum so that students can experience what it is like to run a restaurant,” Culinary Magnet teacher Karen Hill said.

The Culinary Magnet has been hosting this event for the past 10 years to raise money for the culinary program to buy groceries and to give students a taste of working at a restaurant.

“Eagle Cafe is beneficial because it gives us real life experience,” senior Suzzette Aranza said. “It shows us how a real commercial kitchen will be,”

Each student has a specific job to complete. Aranza prepares the ingredients for salads on Thursday each week, and she makes the salads on the day of the event.

“My favorite part is sharing this experience with friends that I’ve known for almost 4 years,” Aranza said.