Desperados Dance on With New Director

Photo by Alejandro Gallegos

Photo by Alejandro Gallegos

By Heiress Smith

As the students of the Desperado team walked inside the familiar room with their friends on the first day of school, they were greeted by an unfamiliar face-Jacklyn Simone, the new director of the Desperados at Richardson.

“I was so excited and so nervous at the same time,” Simone said. “The second I got the job I was ecstatic, and then I got off the phone and I thought to myself, what did I get myself into?”

Simone’s students said that they have learned to adapt to her style of teaching and coaching skills.

“They learned to trust me very quickly which has made things very easy and helped our year run very smoothly,” Simone said.

editdesperadospractice_howell41.jpg
Photo by Alejandro Gallegos

The team had to go through many changes after former director Kara Rogers left.

“I wasn’t very sure about it, but Ms. Simone has been very helpful and makes everyone happy,” junior Desperado Tristan Nickell said. “She tries her best to get everything done.”

Although some students felt the change was abrupt, they soon learned to adapt when they got to know more about their new director.

“It was really upsetting to know that we were getting a new director because I was really close with Mrs. Rogers, but Ms. Simone has really grown on me,” senior Desperado Zach Young said.

Junior Desperado Dreon Hall said he has gotten used to Simone by working closely with her and learning a lot more about her and the way she teaches.

“Ms. Simone pays a lot of attention to the little details that Mrs. Rogers didn’t, and she is also a lot more authoritative,” Hall said. “I was very sad to get a new director. Ms. Simone isn’t what I was expecting, but I’m glad she’s the way she is. She exudes energy.”

As a former Kilgore College Rangerette, Simone brings experience from a well known drill team to Richardsons Desperados.

“I haven’t had a ton of experience with country western dance but it’s always been something that I’ve enjoyed,” Simone said.

webeditDSC_4869.jpg
Photo by Ryan Durbin

Simone said she values putting her team’s interests and thoughts before her own to help them achieve their dreams while also teaching students maturity and hard work.

“I think it teaches lots of responsibility as an individual especially with my past drill team experience,” Simone said. “I try to give them that same mindset.”

Simone said she makes sure to prioritize her students’ needs by focusing on them when necessary.

“I make time and I don’t have many other things going on other than this and I love my job which makes it a lot easier.” Simone said.

Simone said she is trying to keep things the way they were before she arrived at Richardson, but when certain changes have to be made, she makes sure the team agrees unanimously.

“I’ve tried really hard not to come in and make lots of changes but it’s all about what they want, that was my number one thing when I got here,” Simone said. “I want them to have the year they want to have and I want to do what I can to get them there.”

Although it’s Simone’s first time directing a dance team, she said that Eaglette director Kelly Fishback and Assistant Desperados director Robert Carmichael have helped her.

“It’s all about time management and being organized, and I’m really lucky that I have Ms. Fishback and Coach Carmichael as far as handling both,” Simone said “It’s a lot sometimes, but the organizations are similar so they balance well with one another.”

Simone said she loves working with each member of the team and has grown strong bonds with the students.

“Getting to work with 42 kids who have different backgrounds and are involved with different things and having a bond with each one of them makes coming to work easier,” Simone said.

editdesperados practice_oct 30_gallegos484.jpg
Photo by Alejandro Gallegos

Simone said that Desperados is not only about dancing, but it’s also about skill and knowledge.

“I definitely think we’ve improved a lot and we’ve worked really hard with stunting one another, and I really try to encourage them to work with people other than their partner so that they don’t get too comfortable with just one person,” Simone said. “I think that has really challenged them and it will definitely show in our performances.”

Simone said that she emphasizes to the team that Desperados is a lot more than just a dance.

“The team has learned a lot about communication and that there’s a time and a place for both fun and work,” she said.