Dobie Toy Drive

National Honor Society and Student Council officers collect toys to donate to Dobie Elementary for the 31st annual Dobie Toy Drive. Photo by Noelle Saenz

National Honor Society and Student Council officers collected toys for three weeks through a 4th period contest to donate to Dobie Elementary for the 31st annual Dobie Toy Drive. The toys will be given to parents on December 14th.

Dobie Primary is the only school in the district that provides every child at the school with at least one toy and book for the holiday season.

“Richardson High School has been a part of the toy drive for at least 10 years. This toy drive is important because you want every kid to have an opportunity to get excited about something,” said Student Council sponsor, Kristine Baker. “Every kid deserves to have a happy moment.”

Student Council Secretary Furtuna Yemane said it’s not just the kids that get something out of the toy drive.

“I think it’s important because it gets students involved,” she said. “It makes the children happy, so it’s a win-win.”

Dobie Elementary serves over 500 underprivileged students from pre-K to kindergarten and PPCD (Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities).

“The vast majority of our students and their families are considered to be well below the poverty line, and for many of them, the only way these small children will have gifts to unwrap is if Dobie is able to provide for them,” Principal Kirstyn Hart said.