Communications Downsized for Future Studio Upgrades

Photo by Daphne Lynd

By Summer Rains

Brent Morton, the communication magnet teacher, had five communication students assist him in untangling a mess of an innumerable amount of wires for audio, video and more coiled in a tub while remodeling their new studio in A109. Dedicating the entire class period to the hefty feat, the students ripped out the floor boards and ran wire underneath them and through a hole in the wall.

The communications magnet is trying to make their replacement room a home until their new studio is finished. Though this change brings a lot of chaos and challenges, the communications magnet is keeping a positive attitude.

“We get better every day because we are learning,” Morton said.

One of the biggest adversities the Communication Magnet faced is producing Eagle Eye news. In the past, the magnet had a large expanse of space to run Eagle Eye, but now, they are in a room 80% smaller than before.

“It’s very chaotic, everyone is so compact,” junior Zsa Zsa Harrison said. “There is not much room to do anything.”

Not only is space an issue for Eagle Eye, but the transition has affected the organization of the magnet. With the prior space, “every piece of equipment had a home.” junior Michael Payton said. Now, the challenge is finding a place for all the equipment.

The room described in one word is, “Crowded,” said Morton. “Stuff is everywhere. We have sets and power cables that’s in the studio and outside in the shed near the athletics area. When we need something, I have to run to the shed to get it.”

Communications students prep for Eagle Eye. Photo by Daphne Lynd

This has created issues for Eagle Eye. The disorder has led to the losing of or the misplacement of equipment like microphones, which are vital in order to hear the anchors of Eagle Eye.

“The 2nd time I did Sports with ZZ, we lost my microphone,” recalled Zsa Zsa . “I had to scream the announcements so the camera could hear me.”

Most would be daunted by the task of moving rooms, communications is finding a bright side to the move and the closer quarters. The larger space had many merits, but the confined room has created bonds among the magnet that it had been lacking before.

“In the old setting, the class was split into cliques. The small space has merged us,” Michael Payton said. “That’s a positive impact. I feel like this is my favorite year so far.”

It’s not just the students who are reaping the benefits of the smaller room, but even Morton has found silver lining.

“It’s changed my teaching,” Morton said. “The space and the change gave me an opportunity to become a better teacher.”

The magnet was thrown a curve ball, but they remain optimistic. Morton has attended meetings with engineers and architects, discussing the plans for the new room.

“I’m very lucky for the freedom and resources,” Morton said.