The student news site of Richardson High School

The Talon

Filed under Fall, Sports

Disappointing Football Season Comes to an End

Varsity football players seniors Oscar Velazquez, John Butler and junior Quentin Abadie rest on the bench after a tough quarter during the Jesuit game.
Photo By Brantley Graham

Varsity football players seniors Oscar Velazquez, John Butler and junior Quentin Abadie rest on the bench after a tough quarter during the Jesuit game. Photo By Brantley Graham

By Kazi Nassif

The varsity football team finished its first season under the new coach, Greg Pels last Friday with a 52-0 loss to the Coppell Cowboys. The Eagles were unable to notch a win this season, ending with an overall record of 0-10. The offense averaged 6.6 points per game, and the defense gave up 31.2 points per game.

Senior offensive guard John Butler said he’s disappointed with the way the season went, but is optimistic about the future of the program.

“This season was not what we wanted it to be but it was what will set the course for RHS football to be great in the future,” Butler said. “Our effort this year was the strongest. No matter what, we kept working hard.”

Butler also said he would have liked to have seen more support from the students in a season when the team needed it the most.

“At the end of the day, if they went through the same situation we did, we would’ve supported them because we’re all Eagles,” Butler said.

Senior kicker/punter and leading scorer Case Bayless, who averaged over 40 yards a punt, said he was optimistic about the future of the football team.

“I became friends with some talented juniors and sophomores who will do great things on the field next year,” Bayless said.

Senior defensive end Emmanuel Knansah said that even though the results weren’t very successful, the team had a good progression. The Eagles had achieved their best result in the second to last game of the season against Berkner, losing 14-10.

“As a team, we were able to get better week by week,” Knansah said. “Our defense was very strong this year.”

Butler said that he will remember the intimate moments he was able to share with his teammates over the past four years as an Eagle football player.

“I will remember the laughs I shared with my brothers and know that we gave everything, despite the losses,” Butler said. “I will always be proud to be an Eagle.”