The student news site of Richardson High School

The Talon

Varsity Falls To Rockwall Heath

The Rockwall Heath Hawks defeated the Lady Eagles at the area playoffs 3-1, ending a historic season for the volleyball team. Photo by Chad Byrd

By Jacob Richman

The varsity volleyball team lost in the area playoffs to the Rockwall Heath Hawks 3-1, ending the season with a record of 26-14. The Lady Eagles went into the game as underdogs against the Region 2 District 11 champions, who were undefeated in district play.

The first set was close, with both teams being within two points of each other. There were 20 lead changes, making every point crucial. Senior Riley Wertzberger was key on offense, getting six kills in the first set. The set went back and forth until the Eagles scored two straight points to win, 27-25.

After the second set started with Rockwall Heath’s Lorin McNeil scoring three straight points, their team extended their lead to seven as they led 22-15. Richardson closed the gap to four, but Rockwall was able to finish out the set 25-19.

The Hawks got an early 11-3 lead in the third set. The Eagles scored five straight points at the end of the set, but it wasn’t enough to come back from the early scoring streak from Rockwall Heath. Richardson lost the third set 25-17.

Big plays from sophomore Amaris Carter helped the Eagles get a score of 14-14, but the Hawks’ offense was too much for the Eagles. Rockwall Heath went on a 6-1 run, winning the fourth set and advancing to the next round.

Key players on offense for the Eagles were Wertzberger with 17 kills and sophomore Natalie Perdue with 11. Senior Raven Presley added 6 blocks, bringing her total to 142 blocks on the season.

“We were pretty confident in our abilities but we knew the game wasn’t going to be handed to us and we had to work for each point,” Wertzberger said.

The Eagles ended this historic season on a loss, but it has shown that Richardson has what it takes to be competitive in the district.

“We played together so well and maintained a consistent positive energy,” Wertzberger said.