Weekly Announcements 9/12

Announcements for the Week of Sept 12, 2016

Want to start a club? Remember that you will need an adult employed by RISD to sponsor any club or organization that meets on campus. If/when you are able to secure a sponsor, please see Mr. Westfall in B103. The deadline to begin a new club on campus is September 30th and there is mandatory paperwork involved.

Breakfast is served daily in the main cafeteria hot line beginning at 7:45 and closing when the first bell rings to go to 1st period. Applications for meal benefits for this year are available in Office #1 in A hall or the counselor’s office through Sept. 16.

The cafeteria would like to remind you to bring your ID card to lunch to make your purchases. No one will be allowed to make a purchase without their ID card.

Did you know that most of your favorite hot snack bar foods are available in the hot line? For one low price of $2.65, you can get your nachos or frito pie, spicy chicken, burgers, pizza etc., along with 2 fruits, 2 vegetables and a milk. Check the menu each day.

PSAT Registration for Juniors and Freshmen will take place on September 6-16 before/after school in A207, September 12-16 during lunch in D hall, and September 13 during Open House. Price: Juniors: $15 CASH only Freshmen: $10 CASH only. See Mrs. Heagney in room A207 with any questions.

School pictures will be taken of the underclassmen (9-11) on September 20 through the Social Studies classes. Faculty and staff can have their picture taken at any time during the day in the small gym beginning at 7:45.

Attention seniors, do you want to run for homecoming king or queen? Applications for homecoming court are available in the senior office and on the RHS website. Completed applications are due back by 4:15 on September 16th. Applicants must be passing all of their classes to be eligible!

The Science & Technology Organization invites you to enjoy a night of overeating at Chipotle on Coit & Beltline on September 14th, Wednesday from 5-9pm. Mention our name when purchasing a burrito or bowl, then show your RHS school ID to get a free soda. Keep your receipts from that evening and the class that has the most receipts with Chipotle’s RHS Science & technology note on the receipt will win a chance for a pizza party for that entire class! Turn in the receipts in an envelope to room A211, Ms. Martyn’s class by this Friday.

Students- Get ready for the RISD College fair. It’s coming this weekend on September 17th at Berkner High School. The fair starts at 8:30 am. Combined, there will be over 100 universities, technical schools and military representatives. You can register in E103 or B104. Registration is not required but recommended.

Seniors: we have several college and career representatives visiting our campus this week. Tuesday, the United Stated Marines and Columbia State University will be here. Wednesday, Hawaii Pacific University, Michigan State University and Westminster College will be here. They are here to answer any of your questions. Please make sure you stop by the table of your college or career interest.

Who Wants IN and OUT?
•Fri, Sept 23rd
•A, B & C lunch
•AVID seniors will take tickets from teachers who purchased and deliver during 3rd for any faculty member who buys
•Tickets are $5 each & it’s PRESALE only
•Selling tickets during all 3 lunches
•Funds support AVID students: AVID college scholarships, field trips, classroom supplies, etc!
•An enormous tractor trailer will be here again (same location as last year) and they grill on the spot! Choices are a burger, cheeseburger or grilled cheese for our non-meat eaters.

The library will be closed during lunches Thursday and Friday. Please make alternate arrangements. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Night School is back! Whether you need to recover credit or if you want to get ahead on some classes, Night School might be for you. Memorial Park Academy is the new name for Night School and it will be held at Berkner High School this year beginning September 20th. Registration will be held at Berkner on the following days and times: Tuesday, September 13th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Wednesday, September 14th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Late registration will be held on Thursday, September 15th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Classes begin on Tuesday, September 20th. See your counselor for more details.

The Sexuality and Gender Acceptance Club, or SAGA, will be hosting its first meeting of the year on Thursday! Anyone and everyone is free to join. We’ll be meeting @ 4:15pm to 4:45pm in B201. Hope to see you there!

“Meet the Teacher” Open House occurs tonight at 7pm. The PTA meeting will begin at 6pm in the auditorium followed by a 9th grade counselor meeting at around 6:20pm prior to open house. See you there.

Are you interested in trying out for the Desperados next year? Desperados will be holding a stunt workshop on October 5th from 4:30-6:30 in the Small Gym! This workshop is the perfect opportunity to learn from current Desperados and get ready for tryouts in May. The workshop will be $5 at the door. Those interested in participating will also need to stop by room C109 to pick up a release form from Ms. Flores either before or after school. See ya there!

The math honor society Mu Alpha Theta applications are outside room C207. If you have completed geometry or algebra 2 with at least an 85 average, you are eligible to apply. Applications are due back to C207 by Friday, September 23 at 4:10.